Tera Kòrá owes its name to the red earth in the village. The village came into existence in February 1850 when commander Jan Schotborg Claaszoon, forced 45 families to move from Rincon to Mundu Nobo. After a time, a group of slaves also moved to Mundu Nobo. They walked from Mundu Nobo to the salt pans to work in the salt mining at Pekelmeer or Saliña. The name Mundu Nobo was used until the early 20th century. Then it changed to Tera Kòrá (Tera Cora). The inhabitants of Tera Cora worked in the salt pans, but there were nook fishermen. The traditional feasts of Simadan, Barí, San Juan and San Pedro are still celebrated, but less frequently than in the past.